Chimney

Old 08-18-07, 04:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney

Does anyone know the rule of thumb to determine the height of a chimney on an existing house? We are adding a chimney to our house and want to be safe.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-07, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Rule of thumb and safety don't go together.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of installing a chimney you need to size it according to the device you are connecting to.
In order to gain approval there must a specification for the chimney included the information with your appliance.

If you are building a masonry fireplace you will also need to consult accepted tables that match the size and shape of what you are building.

What is the chimney for?

Old 08-18-07, 05:55 AM
T
2/10 is the general rule. 2 foot higher than any ridgeline within 10'.

Old 08-18-07, 09:36 AM
B
Tscarborough is absolutely correct, but dont be surprised if you need to add more if the chimney doesnt draw well. Try to plan for that if possible knowing you may have to brace the chimney for that additional height.

Old 09-19-07, 07:51 AM
K
I read here about having to brace a chimney and am curious how often should the chimney be braced and what is the proper way to brace it. I was told that in my application where I have the chimney block (17" x 17") starting on the basement floor and having support up the corner of the basement wall for the first eight feet of block, that I wouldn't need any more support throughout the remaining 14 feet to the top of the chimney. The only thing in contact with the chimney after it leaves the basement is the flashing on the roof. Do I need to go back in the attic and brace the chimney to the rafters or the main floor ceiling somehow?

Kevin

Old 09-23-07, 10:22 AM
B
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
I read here about having to brace a chimney and am curious how often should the chimney be braced and what is the proper way to brace it. I was told that in my application where I have the chimney block (17" x 17") starting on the basement floor and having support up the corner of the basement wall for the first eight feet of block, that I wouldn't need any more support throughout the remaining 14 feet to the top of the chimney. The only thing in contact with the chimney after it leaves the basement is the flashing on the roof. Do I need to go back in the attic and brace the chimney to the rafters or the main floor ceiling somehow?

Kevin

Kevin,
What I was talking about was IF any chimney whether it be metal, brick or block, ABOVE the flashing on the roof, needed to be extended then perhaps a well thought out plan to brace it due to the possibility of "sway".

Old 09-23-07, 02:58 PM
F
Thumbs up Chimney Suggestions

Good Afternoon Sonlin:

You want to be a minimum of two feet above
anything within ten feet on the roofline. The
chimney / pipe at least three feet out of the
roofline and install the correct termination cap.

Good Luck

Tom