TV Above

Old 08-26-07, 06:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TV Above

What is the overall opinion about putting a TV above a fireplace. I have a fireplace with a mantle above which I would like to mount a plasma on the wall above the fireplace or have an LCD sit on the mantle. Will the heat from the wall above or coming out of the fireplace affect the television in anyway? I rather not spend the money on a TV if it'll just be a waste of money.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-07, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can do this because the fireplace and the sheetrock around it should be fire rated.

It's not recommended though from a decorative standpoint because the fireplace is usually the focal point of the room, and the TV could detract from it.

Do you already have a electric receptacle and cable outlet right there? That is also something else to consider.

Old 08-26-07, 07:49 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Putting the TV over the fireplace seems to be the "in" thing on remodeling shows.

Hang a picture there first and stare at it for a half hour. If you don't have a kink in your neck, go for it. I feel that it's above the normal seated viewing level.

Old 08-27-07, 07:19 AM
M
How will I know if the sheetrock is firerated? The electrical and cable outlet is next to the fireplace floor level. I sometimes move my TV from my bedroom next to fireplace during superbowl parties. Should I relocate it above the fireplace?

I try that hang the picture technique.

Old 08-27-07, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I personally wouldn't do it for the reason Goldstar mentioned.

You would also have to make sure there are studs there anchor the TV too.

Also, if the fireplace does not vent well to the chimney, the soot from the fireplace will probably make a mess of your TV over time.