Old coal fireplace...uses?

Old 09-05-07, 12:17 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old coal fireplace...uses?

we just bought a old house that has a old coal fireplace in it. Is there any use to it? Obviously we dont want to burn coal in it, but I would like to have some function besides decoration. Is it safe to burn logs in it? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-05-07, 01:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
elcome to the forums

Is this a stove or a fireplace? You can burn wood in a coal stove. I have a coal stove in my house [another in my shop] that I burn mostly wood in. it would be a good idea to clean it out well [flue too] and inspect it's condition.

Old 09-05-07, 01:13 PM
L
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
elcome to the forums

Is this a stove or a fireplace? You can burn wood in a coal stove. I have a coal stove in my house [another in my shop] that I burn mostly wood in. it would be a good idea to clean it out well [flue too] and inspect it's condition.
It is a open front fireplace and there is not a chimmney. I imagine it vents somewhere but not throught the roof...does that help any?

Old 09-05-07, 01:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
I wouldn't use it for any fire until I could verify that it has a proper working flue! I'm not familiar with that type of fireplace but generally anything that you can burn coal in you can also use wood.

Old 10-10-07, 03:18 AM
L
I have a masonry fireplace that was originally designed to burn coal. It has a masonry chimney that exits the roof. The chimney has been inspected and is in good condition, so the fireplace functions well as a wood-burning fireplace.

In your situation, it sounds like the original masonry chimney was torn down, at some point in the history of your house!

When houses were built 100 years ago, they had a coal-burning fireplace in the living room, and the bedrooms on the second floor had small coal-burning stoves connected to this same masonry chimney (or possibly to a second masonry chimney). When these old houses are modernized with a forced-air heating source, the old masonry chimney (perhaps in a poor state of repair) is often dismantled so that the HVAC ductwork can be run to the second-floor bedrooms via the path where the old chimney lived.

Old 02-16-09, 02:40 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile Coal is the dirtiest of all fossil fuels

Coal is the dirtiest of all fossil fuels. When burned, it produces emissions that contribute to global warming, create acid rain and pollute water. With all of the hoopla surrounding nuclear energy, hydropower and biofuels, you might be forgiven for thinking that grimy coal is finally on its way out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coal to Liquids - Gas to Liquids - Linc Energy - Fueling Our Future

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: