Is a wood stove the right choice

Old 09-12-07, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is a wood stove the right choice

We are building a timber frame home with a large great room. We would like to put either a pellet stove or a soap stone wood stove in the room. I am afraid that the heat from the stove will mess up the heat distribution throughout the rest of the house. Obviously the great room will heat up (and is also near the likely location for the thermostat) and make the rest of the house cold. The HVAC contractor recommended running the ventilation fan at all times to distribute the heat, and we will have ceiling fans in the room. Has anyone had any similar experience and/or problems? Also, has anyone had experience with a pellet stove vs the wood stove. The pellet stoves are definitely cleaner and easier to use, but is seems like the cost of the fuel my not be worth it, and they are not much use in a power outage.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I have a wood stove in my living rm. I use both the ceiling fan and the HVAC fan to help distribute the heat. The far ends of the house will be cooler than the living rm but IMO it's plenty comfortable. My wife prefers the more even heat that the heat pump provides.