Fireplace Install?

Old 11-27-07, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace Install?

I got a raised ranch that gets pretty cold in the lower level. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a wood burning fireplace in somehow. Or if you all have any other suggestions on how to keep it warm.

Old 11-28-07, 11:09 AM
L
You could have someone install a vent-free gas fireplace or a direct vent gas fireplace. They are the easiest solution for heat.

A wood burning fireplace would take some creative ducting to work properly.

Old 11-28-07, 12:37 PM
Fireplace Install?

If you have forced air? - If so, do you have enough supply AND maybe more important, enough return air?

With that type of home, circulation can be the biggest problem assuming you have a resonable sized furnace. You lower level does not have inside/outside temperature difference that you have upstairs.

Dick

Old 11-29-07, 07:26 AM
Wood stoves are more efficient than fireplaces. BUT wood stoves in basements don't work well. It has something to do with air pressure and negative this fighting positive that - it's been explained to me a few times but I never quite got it. Anyway, wood stoves in basements need more fresh air than they can get down there and are not very efficient (meaning more creosote buildup). Plus they can make the room REALLY hot. I say this from experience - our stove is now on the main level and is much more efficient.

We will be using a direct vent gas stove to heat our basement bedroom suite. It will hook up to a timer/thermostat so it only runs when we need it.

If you have forced air yes it should be heating the entire house properly. However if you are not using your forced air (alternate source elsewhere?) then a gas stove can be very cozy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: