Garage heater advise!!

Old 11-30-07, 06:11 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Garage heater advise!!

I have a detached garage where I have walled off a 14ft by 30ft section in which I will be using as additional living space. It is divided into 3 rooms (bedroom, living area, and bathroom). I currently do not have heat in my garage but it is insulated as well as vapor barriered. When the electrician wired the 100amp subpanel to the garage I had him run 2 seperate outlets(120V) for 2 portable heat/cool units (the kind that are on wheels and vent through the window). I have since changed my mind and am not buying these units. I have been considering a through-the-wall heat/cool unit(like a window air conditioner) but in order to heat/cool that kind of square footage I would have to re-wire for 240V. I have also been looking into electric wall heaters for each room as it would allow me to use the 120 outlets that are already in place.

Any thoughts as to whether the wall units would be able to heat the rooms well enough? Does anyone that has had this problem have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by dpb894; 11-30-07 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 286 Posts
Rewireing the circuit is no problem. Just replace single pole breaker with a 2 pole breaker of the same size and put the white wire on the other pole. Then replace outlet with a 240V outlet the correct amprage. (20A for 20A breaker and #12 wire)

Electric Base board heaters would work good but they would not provide any cooling in the summer.

In the bathroom, if your putting tile, you could put under floor heat. I think there are other underfloor heat you can do to but I can't think of them now.

Another option is a heat pump. But then you have to mess with ductwork. Depending where you live they may not keep up and they cost a bundle!

Doing the rewireing sounds like the easy way to go.

Old 12-01-07, 02:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
check with your local building code, they may not allow the use of portable heater as a permenant solution. If you use thru the wall ac/ heater, get the one with heat pump capacity; you paid $ 100- 200 extra for the heat pump, but the heat output is 3 times more than the resistance heater(if the outside air temp is above ~ 36F)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: