firebox repair

Old 12-10-07, 03:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
firebox repair

i have a condo in a large 100 year old house with the original front room fireplace. the brick in the firebox is in very poor condition. there are many places needing tuck pointing and a few of the brick near the lower back sides flaked off to a depth of almost an inch. it has been repaired before with mortar. the mortar was plastered over the brick and was used to fill in the indentations. i do not know if the original firebox had a mortar surface. the fireplace was build without a damper. i can look up the chimney and the it looks to be in good shape. there are no apparent cracks or loose mortar. i am sure that the firebox should be rebuilt but i have no intention to use it for wood fires. i have used it for an occasional artificial log. the fireplace was well built, has excellent draw, and appears to be in very good shape except for the firebox.

i am considering installing a 75,000 btu gas log set and i have scraped and removed all of the loose mortar and soot. none of the bricks are loose. i want to just tuck point the bricks and reapply the missing mortar. i was hoping that using the gas log would mean i do not have to have the firebox replaced. i know that this is not a permanent fix and that i will probably have to patch it occasionally. is that safe and if so what mortar or cement should i use? would it be better to use some other resurfacing material like tile inside the box to seal it?

Old 12-10-07, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

You would likely have to install a chimney liner as the flue gasses from a gas log set would have too much moisture for a masonry chimney.

Gas logs would need to be installed by a licensed gas fitter and they would be able to advise you on what the requirements are.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: