Disconnected Fireplace Remodel

Old 01-01-08, 07:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Disconnected Fireplace Remodel

I am currently remodelling my basement that has a stone fireplace surround. The flue was removed several years before I bought the house, and confirmed by a chimney sweeper. After hours of scrubbing with bleach and brush, the stone is looking great, however, the firebox is not. It is completely black, many of the bricks have spalled to depths up to 3/4", and the floor of the box is pitted in areas up to 3/4" as well. In the six years I have owned the house, moisture has not been an issue. I would like to make the fireplace purely decorative.

My thought was to seal it with Drylok and level the floor with hydraulic cement, and then paint the inside of the box brick red. I can live with the spalled bricks, it is in character for an 80 year old home, but I am not sure if this plan is practical or if there is a better way to make the box presentable. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-06-08, 01:16 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Adhesion of Drylok, cement, and paint to the sooty/oil surfaces would likely be a problem. Fill the opening with a large fern or cover with a decorative fireplace screen.

Old 01-06-08, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the info. I didn't want to spend the time or money if it probably wouldn't work. For now, I just cut and fit a sheet of plywood, painted the color of the walls, in the opening, as the refinished basement is my 18 month old son's playroom. In a year or so, I will try your ideas, however right now, a plant may be seen as a sand/dirt box, and he has already knocked our other firescreen over atleast once.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: