Removing stainless steel flexible chimney liner

Old 01-04-08, 09:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing stainless steel flexible chimney liner

I have been cheated by a chimney sweep who sold me a 7" flexible (uninsulated) stainless steel chimney liner when I didn't need one (smoky basement problem solved by capping adjacent flue from unused basement fireplace) and now I want to take it out. This has been confirmed by consultations with certified chimney repair professionals.

What steps do I need to consider besides breaking out the parging cement at the top of the chimney and at the bottom where it meets the smoke chamber and then pushing& pulling it down through the fireplace?

Is this method possible or does it have to pulled out from above?

The 7" liner was ovalized to fit into a 9x13 tile. The length is about 30-35'

Would I have to re-cement anything at the top?

Can the stainless liner be sold for much as scrap or to another homeowner ?

I have worked on rooftops and would be taking many safety precautions given the demanding physical movements need for the job.

Thanks for you consideration

Old 01-06-08, 01:06 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is there a problem with leaving the liner in place?

Old 01-07-08, 07:51 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaving the liner in place has two problems as I see it:

a. The oval 7" liner reduces the dimension of the 9 x 13 tile flue which reduces the potential draft and I need as much as possible.

b. The liner isn't insulated which I have been told is not recommended if not against code

My feeling is that the effort it will cost me or the $200 I pay to somone to remove is worth the improvement to the draft, not to mention possible hazard. But I would be happy to get up there and do some work to be able to pull it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: