Do you think this Fireplace works?

Old 01-25-08, 06:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you think this Fireplace works?

I bought this house last year without speaking to the owner. So, I'm not sure if this fireplace ever worked or if it was just for decoration. Many repairs and updates were done in a generic fashion within this house...so who knows.

Anyway, please take a look at this pictures and let me know what you know. http://usera.imagecave.com/elliottno...replace006.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/elliottno...replace003.jpg
What type is this? What parts are missing? I don't smell any gas when I turn the red nob. And there is a lever in the basement that I think is for this gas line (but I can't follow it completely). But I don't smell gas when I turn that either.

I don't know anything about these type of fireplaces. The vent is above (5 inch square hole) and bends. There are no other levers or on/off switches or tags to read.

Let me know what you think.

Old 01-25-08, 09:26 PM
T
What you have there looks very old. Modern gas logs are safe, decorative and efficient heaters. If you have gas available at this unit a new set of logs can cost a little as $200.

Old 01-26-08, 06:18 PM
E
I believe I can get gas to this unit. There is a pipe there and I assume I can get gas to the fireplace.

With the Gas Logs...I still need a base unit that will light....right? Or does a base crate with igniter come included when you buy gas logs?

Or should I get a gas fireplace insert instead?

Old 01-27-08, 05:02 PM
T
Originally Posted by elliottnott View Post
I believe I can get gas to this unit. There is a pipe there and I assume I can get gas to the fireplace.

With the Gas Logs...I still need a base unit that will light....right? Or does a base crate with igniter come included when you buy gas logs?

Or should I get a gas fireplace insert instead?
A typical gas log set comes complete. All you need do is connect to your pipe. There are two types: vented and non-vented. The non-vented is the most efficient since all the heated air stays in the house. I have never used an insert. Maybe someone else can offer information.

Old 01-27-08, 05:34 PM
H
Cool

Get a pro in there. First, remove that old unlisted piece of junk. Have a Level II inspection. Make repairs as needed. Then, if ok, install listed vented logs with a safety pilot. There should be an accessible shutoff within 6 ft. of the fireplace. While the IFGC allows it inside the firebox, only if so listed and none are listed for direct flame contact. This shutoff is too high.

For a hearth pro, go to www.nficertified.com and for a certified fireplace inspector, go to www.f-i-r-e-service.com

HTH,
Hearthman

Old 01-28-08, 04:14 PM
Hearthman is correct. Don't trust your life and home to outdated stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: