fire place

Old 02-10-08, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fire place

Hello, my name is Jim. I bought an older home about 2 years ago. the home has a wood stove insert facing the kitchen area (why I have no idea) anyways the fire place seems to only heat the kitchen area. I would like to pull the insert out and seal up the wall and re-insert the fire place on the other side of the wall facing the living room. is that possible? and if so would I be looking at a major project? please advise

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 02:12 PM
I am a little confused..do you have a wood stove? or a wood fireplace insert??

If you have a wood insert yeah it would be very expensive and a major undertaking to rebuild a fireplace on the other side.

If you have a wood stove you probably could tap into the chimney cheaper than a wood insert.

But given what it is I would hire a pro to at least look at it to tell you if either is feasible.

Mark_ms

PS I am sure someone else will chime in here soon

Last edited by Mark_MS; 02-11-08 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-11-08, 02:28 PM
Wink

Id say thats a lot of work there. You say old home so Ill bet it was at one time a true fireplace. So it will have a built in damper in it and all. You might close this all off in the kitchen Close the damper. Then in the other room get a wood stove and cut a hole into that fireplace flue up about 6 ft off the floor. Then run the stove flue into that.