fire place


Old 02-10-08, 04:29 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fire place

Hello, my name is Jim. I bought an older home about 2 years ago. the home has a wood stove insert facing the kitchen area (why I have no idea) anyways the fire place seems to only heat the kitchen area. I would like to pull the insert out and seal up the wall and re-insert the fire place on the other side of the wall facing the living room. is that possible? and if so would I be looking at a major project? please advise
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 02:12 PM
Mark_MS's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 117
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am a little you have a wood stove? or a wood fireplace insert??

If you have a wood insert yeah it would be very expensive and a major undertaking to rebuild a fireplace on the other side.

If you have a wood stove you probably could tap into the chimney cheaper than a wood insert.

But given what it is I would hire a pro to at least look at it to tell you if either is feasible.


PS I am sure someone else will chime in here soon

Last edited by Mark_MS; 02-11-08 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-11-08, 02:28 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,389
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Id say thats a lot of work there. You say old home so Ill bet it was at one time a true fireplace. So it will have a built in damper in it and all. You might close this all off in the kitchen Close the damper. Then in the other room get a wood stove and cut a hole into that fireplace flue up about 6 ft off the floor. Then run the stove flue into that.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title: