How do I clean exterior/Cast Iron wood stove?

Old 02-18-08, 12:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I clean exterior/Cast Iron wood stove?

I need to know how to clean the exterior of a cast iron wood stove. Have tried soap and water, and grease-cutting cleansers.... nothing seems to restore color back to "black" rather thank looking dusty and dingy grey...

Old 02-25-08, 05:01 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
there is a mtl,,,

you can use - find it at stove retailers,,, it ' fills ' cast iron's pores which's generally dark grey.

sorry - can't remember the mtl's name.

Old 03-15-10, 07:43 PM
K
your solution

Step 1

Turn off your stove and let it cool for at least two hours. Cover the area beneath your stove with plastic sheeting so it will catch any cleaning solution drips or rust that falls off of the stove.

Step 2

Pour 2 cups of kosher salt into your bucket and add 1/2 gallon of lukewarm water. Stir until the salt dissolves. Put on your rubber gloves and drop your cotton cloth in the liquid, letting it soak through. Wipe down the stove with the cloth, using a wire brush or steel wool pad as needed to clean any stubborn spots.

Step 3

Wipe off the salt water with a second cotton cloth, making sure you get all of it off of the stove. If needed, repeat step two a second time. Then wipe the stove again.

Step 4

Put 1/2 tsp. of stove black (a polish made from a carbon-based liquid or paste) on a third cotton cloth. Rub the polish on the outside of the stove in a circular motion. The polish will give the stove a smooth shine and help to prevent future rust.

Step 5

Remove the plastic sheeting from the floor and dispose of it. Let the polish dry for 24 hours before you use the stove again. Then start with a small fire only. (Think less than 2 inches in flame height.) This will help to "bake on" the blacking.

Disclaimer (safety):
1. try at your own risk (worked great for my cast iron wood burning stove out in my shop, call me if you have questions - 888-234_0963)
2. Open all the windows and doors in the room before cleaning the wood stove. Stove polish has a strong smell. Make sure you get stove black or "stove polish" not stove paint. Skip the blacking if your stove is painted a light color. The carbon will make the outside look a black or dark gray.
3. Some recommend cleaning the outside of your stove with kerosene. It's not a good idea, since kerosene is highly flammable. Don't get any stove polish on the inside of your stove. It's only appropriate for the outside. Stop using your wood stove if it is rusted completely through. This is a definite fire hazard.

GOOD LUCK AND VOTE REPUBLICAN

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: