Fireplace bricks which

Old 03-19-08, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace bricks which

Hello chaps
New here so bear with me, my question is what type of bricks can I use to build a fireplace, the fire place I have in use at the moment is the fabricated concrete slab type with tiles set onto it, I plan to remove this and build something better looking, but not being a builder I have no knowledge of what type of brick or mix I should use.

Old 03-19-08, 09:32 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
firebrick & fire-resistant,,,

mortar ( refractory ),,, if you remove the tiles, you may find it already in place if its a working f/p,,, most bldrs don't know either - that's why the sub to a mason w/experience

Old 03-19-08, 10:38 AM
I donít think I made my self clear; the fireplace has a prefabricated hearth and mantle made up from concrete which has then had tiles fixed to it before installation, the hearth is then fixed to the floor by means of brackets so is the mantle fixed to the wall

Old 03-19-08, 12:04 PM
Hi 1st Gunny,

If you are going to replace anything inside the fireplace, you need fire brick and fire resistant mortar. (like so-elite says) You can't get these products at the big box stores, you need to go to a brick yard.

If you are only re-doing the outside of the fireplace, your choice of materials can be anything you choose...brick, tile stone, etc.

If you have a specific question, we'll be glad to help you. In your post, you said you wanted to build a fireplace... Did you mean you want to re-face the fireplace?

If you can, please post photos either to Picasa or photobucket, and put a link here, so we can see what you see.

Thanks so much!

Connie

Old 03-20-08, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by connie View Post
Hi 1st Gunny,

If you are going to replace anything inside the fireplace, you need fire brick and fire resistant mortar. (like so-elite says) You can't get these products at the big box stores, you need to go to a brick yard.

If you are only re-doing the outside of the fireplace, your choice of materials can be anything you choose...brick, tile stone, etc.

If you have a specific question, we'll be glad to help you. In your post, you said you wanted to build a fireplace... Did you mean you want to re-face the fireplace?

If you can, please post photos either to Picasa or photobucket, and put a link here, so we can see what you see.

Thanks so much!

Connie

Hi thanks for your reply, I have place a photo on photobucket this what I want to remove http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/1stgunny/

Old 03-20-08, 03:43 AM
So, you want to take everything out and just keep the flue? Build a new fireplace from scratch...is that correct?

Gunny, is that charcoal in picture 2 ?

Old 03-20-08, 04:22 AM
So, you want to take everything out and just keep the flue? Build a new fireplace from scratch...is that correct?

Gunny, is that charcoal in picture 2 ?

Hi Connie
I want to take away the hearth and the mantle part. Connie itís coal in the fireplace forgive me if Iím wrong but I believe you are American, Iím British we burn coal a lot here.

Old 03-20-08, 04:29 AM
Ha! I suspected as much, when you called us "chaps"

I'm afraid I know nothing about British building codes. Here, we go to the planning and zoning commission to get a permit, get plans approved and build according to code.

Is there a something akin to that for you?

Old 03-20-08, 04:36 AM
Ha! I suspected as much, when you called us "chaps"

I'm afraid I know nothing about British building codes. Here, we go to the planning and zoning commission to get a permit, get plans approved and build according to code.

Is there a something akin to that for you?
I see a lot of hoops to go thought your end then, well when you buy a property here and decide to pull the fireplace out, well thatís up to the owner and also if you decide to knock out walls and stuff, but planning permission is needed to build extensions or garages/ out building, but if you want to put up a wooden shed big or small as long as itís not fixed to the ground thatís ok..

Old 03-20-08, 04:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Ya, here in the states we got to get permits, pay fees and all kinds of taxes and we fought a war to get shed of all that

If I understand correctly, you plan to leave the firebox and flue and only change out the hearth and tile surrounding the opening. If so, your biggest concern is having enough support for whatever you replace it with. Brick or stone can add a lot of weight in hurry.

Old 03-20-08, 05:03 AM
I should move to England! Not only do we have to get these permits and approvals, we pay for them and then pay increased taxes on the increased value of our home improvements.

At any rate, I can tell you how to build a surround or a mantle, or how to replace the firebrick in a conventional wood burning fireplace, but your coal burner is out of my realm.

Someone may come along with expertise in this field who can assist you. I'll be interested to see. Always something new to learn, here.

Old 03-20-08, 05:37 AM
Connie
I canít believe you have to pay increased taxis on your improvements, thatís wrong.
I think our government members are legalised rip off merchants, well it seems all governments screw the people especially the working classis, We have just had what is called a budget from our government which spells out what they think needs to increase in order for our country to maintain itís place financially in the world, and what did they feel needed an increase in price. Motor fuel and road tax/cigarettes/ alcohol. The riche get richer and the poor get poorer. Sorry to rant thanks for your help connie

Marksr
Yes you are quite correct that is my plan, I was thinking maybe bricks
The current type of fireplace I think was installed by Noah just after his boat sank

Old 03-20-08, 11:36 AM
Gunny, here's a website on your own turf that may be helpful to you:

http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/frame/main.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: