Not sure if fireplace in my house is safe for use or not.

Old 10-14-08, 07:58 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Not sure if fireplace in my house is safe for use or not.

The fireplace in my house hasn't been used in i don't know how long. It is just an opening in the bricks that form the chimney, no doors or insert(not very well educated on fireplaces)

Are inserts better than just an open space or would say a sliding cage looking shutter be good?

Is there a certain requirement that a fireplace has to have before it can be used?

A friend of mine took a look at it and he said some of the mortar is cracked, but i've seen a fireplace in much worse condition being used. Are there certain things i should look for and what not that would help me figure these things out?

Old 10-14-08, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It would be a good idea to get a chimney sweep to come clean and inspect your flue. He should be able to answer any questions you have pertaining to your chimney/fireplace.

An insert is more efficent if using the wood to heat your home. Unsafe chimneys are used all the time but sometimes they will burn the house down. That's the main reason insurance companies add a surcharge to homeowner's that have wood heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: