Natural Gas fireplace insert problem burner will not light

Old 10-22-08, 05:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Natural Gas fireplace insert problem burner will not light

Hi!

I have 15 year or older gas fireplace insert made by Gas Technology INC that will not run. Here is the problem my pilot is lighting fine but to get the burner to light I have to hit the gas valve then the burner will start right up another way to make it work is sometimes it will come on automatically after 15 minutes, but hitting the valve will make it start right away. I have a plain volt meter not a milli volt meter to check the system. Do you think it is best just to replace the gas valve since it seems to be sticking or do you think it is not warming up to make the valve open and then when I hit it I am forcing the valve so should I start there and replace the thermocouple first? Anyone have ideas??? Also can I place fiberglass insulation around the stove that is in the hearth opening??
Mike

Old 10-23-08, 07:04 AM
T
Mike,
From your description I assume this is a "standing pilot" set of logs. You say the pilot is OK. I take that to mean that the pilot will light and remain on after the knob is released. If this is so then your thermocouple and assciated coil are working. I think you have a broken gas valve. This can get expensive and should be left to a pro.

Mind did this after 10 years. I chose to replace the logs.

Old 10-23-08, 05:19 PM
C
What is expensive this is an insert stove with a blow by fan and all, couple hundred dollar investment in it to me is worth it!!
Thanks for you feedback much appreciated. Have one other question there is way to troubleshoot the valve by determining that the thermo coupling is reaching the right millivolts I only have a regular meter that reads ac or dc can I use this to measure milli volts or do I need a special meter?
Thanks
Mike

Old 10-23-08, 07:34 PM
T
Mike,
A digital meter is best but if your meter can measure 30 millivolts you should be OK.

I think your thermocouple and coil are OK. All the thermocouple does is produce a low voltage. This voltage goes to an electromagnet that will "hold" the safety valve open. This is the reason for pushing and holding the knob until the thermocouple gets hot. You can test this by turning the pilot off. Listen for a "thud" sound that indicates that the safety valve has closed. You can then return the pilot to "on" without pushing the knob. The pilot shouldn't light. I do this test at the beginning of each season.

Again, if the pilot will remain lit, the problem is not with the thermocouple.

Old 10-26-08, 09:08 AM
C
Thanks for your input I went to local heating and supply to replace the gas valve and the clerk told me to try replacing the thermocouple first because it was much cheaper to do. So I listen to him and tried that and it works just fine now. Thanks for your input much appreciated you gave me the courage to take it apart and fix it at minimum price.
Mike
Beer 4U2

Old 10-26-08, 11:10 AM
L
The thermocouple has nothing to do with the operation of the main burner circuit. The TC operates the pilot safety system.

What you have is an issue with the pilot assembly, thermopile, gas valve or electrical connection issues. You REALLY need to call a professional before you have your room filled with a giant fireball.

Old 10-28-08, 04:27 AM
C
The thermo couple on my stove is a millivolt generator, maybe using the wrong term here but thats what everyone else is calling it, I was told that over time these do not generate enough power to open the gas valve. Now after replacing that part it works just fine you hit the on/off rocker to on and I get instant burner ignition.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: