Supplemental heat question

Old 11-26-08, 03:28 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Supplemental heat question

Hi there. I'm considering having a vent-free natural gas wall heater (18,000 BTU) installed to help heat my poorly-insulated place with underground ducting that renders the central heat inefficient. Research pointed to going with infrared (not blue flame). It's a tiny house with a pretty open floor plan, so I'm figuring it might generate enough radiant heat to make the place toastier this winter. Questions:

A. Any reason I shouldn't do this?
B. If no to A, better to have the gas company or a plumber do the installation, and what's a reasonable ballpark price to hook it up?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited by flukeslapper; 11-26-08 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added more detail
Old 11-26-08, 04:05 PM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
"a vent-free natural gas wall heater "
Others may have more specific objections to vent free combustion devices, but I have always considered them outdoor heaters. Sheds, barns, and locations that have an abundance of fresh air. I know gas ranges and ovens run without venting, but we don't often go to bed with them running all night. Let's see what others have to say.
Bud

Old 11-27-08, 08:01 AM
F
Thanks for your feedback, Bud. I would agree with you, for the most part. Regarding the abundance of fresh air, since there are still several exterior walls with no insulation in them, air flow doesn't seem to be an issue. In addition, the heaters have sensors that detect when there isn't enough fresh air (allegedly), and I have a CO2 detector already. I don't plan to run the unit while I'm asleep; it's intended only for the evening hours / weekends as supplemental heat. I'm looking forward to some more responses, and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Old 11-27-08, 08:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
That vent free heater will be a great source of additional heat, but they are not ment to be your primary source of heat. Check with your local codes to see what they say about installation of those heaters.

Old 12-03-08, 04:31 PM
F
I checked with my gas company, and they said they don't do installations of these heaters. Who would be the best installer - Heating and Cooling, plumber....?

Old 12-04-08, 01:32 AM
L
Look in the phone book for a place that sells gas fireplaces. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 12-04-08, 07:50 PM
W
We have had one of these heaters in the house site the late 80's. We started with the infa red and when that died we purchased a blue flame. Infared was much better. Well we run that 27/7 at times and it really works great but she has the bigger size. As for the install we had a plumber run the gas pipe to were the heater is, then it mounts to the wall with a supplied hanger and the plumber will attach it to the gas line. Some have an option blower that you can install in it with just a screw driver. If the one you are looking at install that fan. it is excellent. Our first one did not have the blower option, but out Blue flame does. I also have friend that have them in there homes and love them as well. Don't worry they are safe and easy to install. good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: