gas fireplace-need a new thermocouple

Old 12-14-08, 04:18 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas fireplace-need a new thermocouple

I have a set of Monessen gas logs with a bad thermocouple. I drove all over town today trying to find a replacement and the fireplace dealers want to sell me a whole new pilot assembly. Seem I ought to be able to get a replacement thermocouple, but the "universal" thermocouples sold in the hardware stores all have a connector nut for the valve that is just bigger than the one I need.

Anyone have a good source for an oddball part like this? I dug around the internet for the past couple of hours and didn't find anything promising.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 12-15-08, 04:52 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a Monessen vent-free set of logs and they are over 2 years old, you probably don't need a thermocouple. All vent-free gas logs require annual servicing and the safety sensors will shut the unit down. Vent-free gas logs are not something that a DIYer should tackle themselves. There are certain things that, if not done properly, will cause carbon monoxide as well as sooting your home. Time to call a professional.

The thermocouple only comes as one assembly that includes pilot, thermocouple/thermopile and ignitor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: