Updating frame/doors for old prefabricated fireplace

Old 12-20-08, 11:35 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Updating frame/doors for old prefabricated fireplace

I'm trying to replace the frame (doors, brass frame, etc.) of our old prefabricated fireplace. It's a 1985 fireplace made by Empress Fireplace Heaters MFG (Ontario, Canada), model: Empress 722.

I can't find any information on the company so it may have gone out of business. How should I go about finding a new frame to ensure it 's compatible? I'm looking for something more updated.

I've taken off as much of the current frame as possible (except for the doors), but I can't figure out how to remove the rest. It's also hard to tell what parts go with the frame and what parts go with the fireplace itself.

Here's a picture with some of the outer brass frame removed.

I can remove the doors, but I can't figure out how to remove the remaining brass parts (like the horizontal piece across the top). It disappears under the black metal frame that surrounds the whole fireplace. Here's a close up:

I removed the outer screws on the black metal plates (2 are shown in the picture), but the plates are still secured somehow (thinset?). I can't figure out whats holding them down. Also, are they part of the frame (and would be replaced if I bought a compatible replacement), or are they part of the fireplace? What are they called?

I'd like to do as much DIY as possible to save money, but maybe I'm over my head. We don't plan to ever use the fireplace, so to save money I'm hoping to make only cosmetic improvements.

Suggestions?

Old 10-17-09, 02:22 PM
K
I'm revisiting this project. Does anyone know how to remove the black metal surround pieces? I need to do that in order to remove and replace the remaining brass fixtures and doors, which disappear under the metal black pieces.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-09, 12:57 AM
F
Kurt,
The black frame around that fireplace is part of the FP. It is probaly riveted all together. If you want to keep your cost down, why not tape off around the brass bar on the front, sand it a little and spray it with high temp black paint. You could do the same to the doors. I noticed you have slate around the fireplace but it looks like it does not cover the edge. You can come on to the face of the fireplace with any noncombustible material and cover all of the black up right up to the opening. Or Look on Stoll fireplace doors website, they have some magnetic updates.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Fireplace Gal; 10-23-09 at 01:03 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-31-09, 09:01 AM
M
I own an Empress wood Fireplace model 747 ST and I can't find the instruction manual... I would like to add a shelf. Apparently to do so you need to refer to the instruction manual as the heat emanation differ from one model to another and may vary even if the opening is the same size.

Fireplace width: 43'' Height: 39 3/8''
Opening: width: 29 3/8'' Height: 17 5/8''

Is there a way to find the instruction manual? Can anyone tell me the clearence to install the tablet? I'm planning to install a tv on the top of the shelf, what size should the shelf be??

Regards

Old 12-31-09, 09:50 AM
Dont remove the black face you wont be able to put it back together as the unit will sag and bend with it removed. The doors themself are the only thing you can remove safely from the unit. You can get face mount doors at home depot or lowes for around 200 and up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: