Fireplace help for a total novice

Old 01-03-09, 07:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace help for a total novice

Having just moved into our house, we knew there was an issue with the fire place. To be brief and to the point:

Its a wood burning fireplace and is not a brick chimney. The inside of the fireplace is some sort of faux brick liner and is cracked badly. I was hoping to be able to replace the brick liner (I cannot afford the $2000 for a professional repair job).

Do these things come in kits?
If I remove the current one, is there a model number on it to make it easy for me?
Any help, guidance, tips?

Thank you in advance

Old 01-03-09, 10:11 PM
you will need to check with a local fireplace shop, most of the faux brick is custom made for the fireplace size, usually the serial no is on the back of the fireplace liner and only visable by pulling the liner out. only a job to do if you are replacing the fireplace. you might be able to use firebrick mortar to make your own faux brick liner using wood to form the sides and bricks under to make a reverse impression for the inside or small strips of wood for the joints and chicken wire embedded into the mortar to give it more strength. the joints just need to be impressed in about 1/8 in.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-04-09, 02:37 PM
C
Thanks

I went to remove the liner...the back crumbled...needs total replacement.

I was able to get the make and model though:

Superior HC 4320

To be honest it looks like a piece of crap but I want to patch up to keep the wife happy with a nice fire until I can get it done right!

Old 01-13-09, 01:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Superior is out of business.

I'd say it's unlikely you will be able to find parts like that, but you can shop around and hope I suppose.

Old 02-09-09, 04:51 PM
M
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
Superior is out of business.

I'd say it's unlikely you will be able to find parts like that, but you can shop around and hope I suppose.
Superior is now owned by Lennox. Service number 800-655-2008. I have a model HCE-4050 and yes it is a piece of crap also. Lennox doesn't even reccommend an insert for this unit so I am stuck with nothing.

Old 02-10-09, 05:23 PM
C
I ended up getting full fireplace replacement and flu for $1100

My next project is to construct a hearth. I want it built up to the level of the fire. I am thinking a wooden frame, slate on top. Then maybe faux slate finishing the face of the wooden frame.

I have a bunch of spare red brick though that the last house owner left so I am also looking into making it out of red brick. One thing is for sure, my wallet is tapped so this one I have to do

Old 02-11-09, 06:33 PM
M
prefab fireplace

When you say full replacement, what got replaced? Was it framing around it? You tore out your fireplace and redid it with brick/masonry? I would gladly do that for $1100.00. I have an insert sitting in my garage, and I'm not sure how to proceed?
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: