Type of fireplace to put in

Old 01-14-09, 08:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type of fireplace to put in

I have a home that was built in 1926. The living rool has a brick fireplace and mantle that is actually really nice. The one problem is that the chimney must have been removed prior to my owning the house and the fireplace was bricked shut.

I would like to have a company install an insert type fireplace, but only have one local compnay.

Do you all have any suggestions for me or questions I should ask?

Old 01-14-09, 10:14 AM
T
What type of insert? Gas? Wood burning? Pellet?

Venting will be an issue because there is no chimney. Insert will be a problem because fireplace was bricked shut.

Local buildings codes vary from area to area. Installation instructions among insert manufacturers also vary.

You need to decide on what type of insert and size of opening once brick is torn out and what venting requirements. Then, do your homework. Then, go back and ask more questions. An insert may not be your best option.

Old 01-14-09, 01:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
There is a definite possibility that your home never had a working fireplace. Fake fireplaces were not uncommon in homes of that era.

Old 01-14-09, 01:35 PM
E
Originally Posted by furd View Post
There is a definite possibility that your home never had a working fireplace. Fake fireplaces were not uncommon in homes of that era.
I don't think I ever gave that a thought. Any way, I am looking at a gas direct vent or non-venting one.

Old 01-14-09, 01:47 PM
T
Building codes tend to vary from state to state and from area to area within a state.

"All types of unvented combustion space heaters are illegal to use in one- and two-family homes built in Wisconsin since 1980. Many Wisconsin communities have ordinances prohibiting their use in all homes and apartments." CE News Release: ARE UNVENTED HEATERS A GOOD SUPPLEMENTAL HEAT SOURCE? - January, 2000

In Middleton, WI, "It shall be unlawful for any person to install, repair or alter or cause to be installed any gas heating equipment, including controls, piping, ducts and vent connections without obtaining a permit to do so and paying a fee as stated in the Permit Fee Schedule adopted under s. 11.05(14)."

"Upon completion of the installation of gas heating equipment and prior to the use thereof, the Building Inspector shall be notified that such equipment is ready for inspection."

Chapter 13

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: