Fresh air intake design

Old 01-14-09, 04:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fresh air intake design

I read the following from a reliable source:

"Another good fresh air intake design is to use a 6” galvanized pipe to ventilate the ash dump pit to outside air. The ash dump door is then opened to the fireplace and allows adequate air to directly enter the fireplace opening. It is a good idea to have a steel plate mounted 2” - 3” above the ash dump area so that ashes are not blown around by the incoming air. Never vent a fresh air intake to the garage, since combustible fumes may be pulled into the fireplace.
If the temperature outside is relatively warm or the air is damp and “heavy”, the fireplace will not draw as well as with colder temperatures."

I am going to do this and I would love to hear from someone who has already done it. I am wondering what the traditional construction is in the basement, supporting my fireplace. It is a block wall (not brick), and the ash cleanout is very close to the basement floor. I would like to bust into the block wall close to the cellar ceiling joists and run a duct to the outside which is only about 5 feet away.

Old 01-14-09, 07:03 PM
most of the time the ash dump is the same size all of the way down to the bottom for support of the fireplace. that being the case i would use a good light to look into the ash dump in the bottom to check the size. breaking into it from the back could be problimatic
i have used a ash dump for fresh air but we didn't have a basement so the dump went to the outside of the house and all i had to do was open the outer door.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-14-09, 07:24 PM
T
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
most of the time the ash dump is the same size all of the way down to the bottom for support of the fireplace. that being the case i would use a good light to look into the ash dump in the bottom to check the size. breaking into it from the back could be problimatic
I'll look down in from the fireplace to try to get an idea of where I can bust through - why would it be problematic?

Old 01-22-09, 05:31 PM
T
In further review, I found that someone (before me), has drilled two small holes through the block wall about 3' below the ash pit opening. Could someone in the past had the idea of using cellar air for combustion air?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: