Wood buring insert for see-thru fireplace

Old 01-15-09, 10:49 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood buring insert for see-thru fireplace

Does such a thing exist? What options might be available?

Thanks for any and all input!

/Steve

Old 01-15-09, 11:58 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
They certainly do make wood burners for see-through fireplaces. You can explore lots of links that over these by Googling "wood burning insert for see-through fireplace." If there is a local hearth store in your area, it is recommended that you purchase from someone knowledgeable and who knows the local building codes. Another advantage of buying locally is that you will have someone near by should you develop a problem. Too, you will be helping your local economy, which, I am sure, could use the help.

You should have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a licensed and certified chimney sweep. This will assure that nothing is amiss in the chimney. Too, you need an assessment of the condition of the chimney's crow. If there is no cap, it's a good time to get one.

Old 01-16-09, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
inserts & stuff

I can't speak to a see-through inserts,however I spent a couple of months researching before I purchased mine (pacificenergy.net) insert last year.
I would like to address the chimney issue. Cleaning and inspection is a good idea, but I would recommend that you also spend the extra money and get a full length insulated stainless chimney insert. The logic is: A) the inserts are engineered to work efficiently with "x" amount of draw, ergo "x" size flue. B) the hotter the flue gas remains the less buildup you get in the chimney.
Before you mistake me for someone that knows what they are talking about, most of what I know I got from reading on the net. A great place to start is "hearth.com" forums, lot of knowledge in that group. Just make sure you ask "what else should I know about".
Good luck - Terry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: