convert wood to gas fireplace

Old 03-12-09, 02:34 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
convert wood to gas fireplace

Hi. I live in an old house that has a corner brick masonary wood fireplace. Its a nice thing to have to see the wood burning, and smell the wood burning, but its not that great at heating, and its an open fireplace with a mantle, and loses a lot of heat when not in use. I'm thinking of a gas fireplace, and I wanted to know where I could find the Ontario Regulations. I'm pretty handy, and have a natural gas line out to the bbq, not that far from the fireplace, and the electrical work would not be that difficult. I'd like to understand what things I can do, and what, if any items, that code mandates a licensed professional does. Any help would be great. Thxs

Old 03-13-09, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 662 Upvotes on 562 Posts
Maybe start here -----> Home

Old 03-16-09, 04:34 PM
W
convert wood fireplace to gas

it's not to hard to convert but you will still lose heat when not in uses sound, like it does for wood, it sounds like your damper is not working, if bad think about top of flue damper and glass doors for fireplace.

Old 04-13-09, 05:58 PM
D
Rethinking this gas fireplace insert

Hi. I am thinking of doing this gas fireplace insert as a solution to my old, out-dated corner wood burning fireplace. I'd love some advice and your opinions as I plan this project. I can frame the gas fireplace insert in the corner to cover the brick with drywall, and redo the floor tile...really, really ugly and out-dated. I will hire a professional to get the gas line where I need it to hook up...natural gas line to the bbq on the outside wall, very close. I can handle the electrical work for the fan. I'm thinking of venting the fireplace to the outside wall with a firestop and cap, instead of using the chimney(I haven't checked, but I'm not sure if its up to code to even use the chimney).

I'd love to create a shelf above the insert to put my 46" tv.

Please offer some advice that will help me on my project, problems that you see. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: