ok to stack wood next to house with brick siding ?

Old 04-05-09, 09:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok to stack wood next to house with brick siding ?

Is it ok to put a stack of wood next to your house if its brick? The metal rack when its full of wood, seems a bit easy to pull over. At least with the stack up next to the house, the rack would have some stability. Im worried about giving termites a home though.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-09, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not recommended except for the amount of wood you would use in a week or so. Even a brick home has wood framing and trim. There are penetrations the little buggers could find their way through.

Old 04-05-09, 11:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
I usually stack a weeks supply [or so] on my wooden porch. I won't stack any wood on the porch that looks like it might have bugs. I also spray that area first/good when it comes time to mix up the termite spray.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way. I don't leave wood stacked up at/on the house long term. My wood pile is stacked up between the garden and the house. If there is any wood on the porch after the last fire is out - it goes back to the wood pile.

Old 04-05-09, 11:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i ahve seen wood stacked beside a brick house..if there year after year and piled all summer long i have seen moisture cause the brick and mortar to become soft and crumble from staying moist..it will cause discoloring and even start to grow moss on it

also i have seen steel siding after the wood pile has been removed...i cant remember now if the stell faded behind the wood or if it didn't and teh rest of the building did..but it looked terrible anyway...the point is that the steel actually looked two different colors

pile your wood where the air can dry it all around...your fires will be hotter...cleaner burning and your brick home will be not needing any repairs too soon

my thoughts anyway