New woodstove, how to stack wood.

Old 09-03-09, 08:38 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New woodstove, how to stack wood.

Hey Folks,

So, Canadian winter is approaching and I am about to have a woodstove installed as a backup for the numerous power outages we experience where I'm at.

My question is, I've never owned one, or had to stack firewood properly. Anyone have any ideas/links/tips? Should I build some platform to keep the wood off the ground? Do I need to tarp it off? Someones told me about 'lumber tarps' that allow wood to breath.

Anyhoo, total newbie to the woodburning world and just wondering where to start.

Thanks again, bill.

Old 09-06-09, 02:45 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Yes, you should keep the firewood off of the ground. Stack it in a manner that allows the wind to blow through the stack to promote drying. Cover the top to prevent rain or snow from soaking the pile. Rain or snow on the ends will not be a problem as long as the air can circulate through the pile.

Old 09-06-09, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I think when they stack it for curing..they do a cross hatch (tic tac toe?) kinda pattern..but once its pretty dry you basically just stack it in straight lines/piles?.

Keep it covered with a simple tarp and you'll be fine. Bring in enough for a few days at a time, under a covered porch or basement. You think the pioneers built a special room for wood? Doubtful. Stack it against the log house and use it quick enuf so it doesn't rot..(pioneers...not you!!)

Lots of firewood burners that I knew would put a few dry pieces of hardwood in and get it real hot..then throw in green/not so cured stuff to keep the fire burning longer. Dry burns hot and quick..green burns low and slow.

Ahh thought of a better example..lincoln log style when drying...

Old 09-12-09, 07:07 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's some helpful info.
Firewood
Good, dry/seasoned hardwood is important. Different types of wood burn differently and give off different amounts of heat; hardwoods produce more than softwoods. I stack about 2 cords where it gets plenty of sun and wind exposure with only the tops of the pile covered with tarps; I stack on top of 2X4's to keep the wood off the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: