Off-centered opening

Old 03-16-00, 07:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

1960's tri-level, lower level family room with fireplace and huge brick, floor to ceiling surround, hearth. Not fond of the off-centered look popular when these "contemporary" tri-levels were built. 1. Live with it - or is this something that can be "centered" - is this expensive to do -- is it difficult? 2. Would covering with tile be too much since the surround is so large - is this hard for a doityourselfer? Also have a slab of stone (looks like cement to me but maybe jsut dirty old limestone)that is "off- centered as well - can I paint this mantel/stone? I don't know what to do - (besides move) and I am too scared to use all of the caustic stuff I've read about to clean/renew...thanks

Old 03-21-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
You have options based on a few conditions that are unknown to me. But I'll try to poke at it. You can either cut of the part that extends visibly to far IF it is facade, meaning if it is non-structural. Or you could add to the other side that is short by adding a facade of like material - but then it probably won't match. Painting masonry, in my opinion defeats the whole pupose of the beauty masonry, but, if it is ugly from being stained, then that might be the right choice. I have found that stains around fireplaces to be very dificult/impossible to remove. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: