replacing fireplace tile

Old 04-02-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I have a built-in fireplace that has at least 20 coats of paint on it. I've stripped the wood, but cannot figure out what to use to strip the tile. Consequently, I would like to replace the tile. Can you tell me what kind of tile would be the best to use? How difficult it would be to use a mosaic pattern? What tools I would need? Would I have to should remove the original tile or could I tile over it? Also, are there any instructions for this project?

Old 04-04-00, 01:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Before becoming too involved have you tried a heavy bodied paint and epoxy remover? The only "coating" that I know of that the former will not remove are some of the powder coatings.

Can you tell me what kind of tile would be the best to use? You can use almost any type of glazed tile, and some unglazed ones also. Unglazed tile are harder to clean!
You could use stone tiles also.

How difficult it would be to use a mosaic pattern? If you don't enjoy detailed work, this is not for you.

What tools I would need? General prying tools to remove the old tile, scraping tools to remove the thinset, mortar, or mastic, tiling tools to set the new tiles with.

Would I have to should remove the original tile or could I tile over it? If you tiled over the existing tile how will you slove the problem of melding the new tile with the mantel? Tile over tile is possible, but the normal adhesive is an epoxy adhesive, which is difficult to work with.

Also, are there any instructions for this project? Since this is a highly visable area it might be best if you purchased a tiling "how to book" that will answer most of the questions that you might have and show you step by step instructions. If web based is your thing, I'm sure that sites like "Home Depot" or "Hometime" will have some insights for you.

Old 04-06-00, 03:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into them. I'm interested in doing this project correctly without a lot of hassle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: