Chimney repair help needed

Old 09-17-09, 07:52 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney repair help needed

I have a 1973 Ranch with a fireplace in Kentucky. There is metal opening (that is stuck) for ash removal in the bottom of the fireplace. Also, the metal cover over the outside ash removal hole just sits there - it's not secured. I'm concerned about heat loss.

Should I use some brick/mortar to fill in the ash disposal? Should I do anything about the metal piece in the fireplace?

I do plan on using the fireplace quite a bit this winter, and I would like to eventually have an insert there.

Thanks

Old 09-18-09, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
If you don't use it or plan to use it fill it in with fire brick. Do you have a fresh air intake and sealed fireplace doors? If not, this might be a good way to get air into the fire box.

Old 09-18-09, 07:28 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's what I'm wondering..If I seal it off, will it be OK for air to enter the fireplace only from the inside? I do not have a fireplace door, just a screen.

Thanks

Old 09-19-09, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
The fireplace will(is) taking combustion air from the inside of the house. This will cause a negative pressure in the house. When the fireplace is burning, it will pull air through any air leaks in your home and could even cause back drafting on gas fired appliances. This could make your remote rooms colder then they are in the past.

If it were me, I would figure out a way to use that ash dump as an air intake and get some sealed fireplace doors.

This is what I'm trying to solve with my fireplace as well although, getting fresh air to my fire box will be much more difficult.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: