natural gas line for fireplace logs

Old 10-21-09, 02:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
natural gas line for fireplace logs

Hi, I have posted to this site in the past and have found it very helpful. My question is that I have Peterson vented gas fireplace logs that I want to install in my fireplace. I had one guy come by and he suggested that I need to run a whole seperate gas line to the logs. I already have gas going to my boiler and the line continues under the house for a gas dryer hookup which is not being used. Can i just take off from the dryer hookup and continue the pipe to the fireplace which is just about 15 more feet? I think the one line can supply both? The plumber said that I may loose gas flow and my boiler my not work properly. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bobby

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-09, 03:09 AM
L
Gas pipe sizing is more complcated than most think it is. You must factor in the number of appliances, the BTU rating of each, the total length of all pipe........

What is the BTU of the dryer and the gas logs? I'm not sure about the dryer, but the logs may be 90,000 BTUs

Old 10-22-09, 11:01 AM
F
the dryer is not hooked up. the line is not being used. I am not sure of the BTu of the logs. All I know is that they are Peterson vented. There are no signs on the unit that I can read. The boiler is 90,000 btu

Old 10-22-09, 01:44 PM
L
The reason that I asked the BTUs of the dryer was to find out how many BTUs that line is rated for.

Old 10-23-09, 06:30 PM
F
I do not have a gas dryer hooked up. The line which looks like 1/2" black iron has a valve and is capped off in the laundry room. The gas line is run from the meter into the garage up the wall into the attic and back down the opposite wall to the boiler and then continues under the house where there is a tee and one end goes into the laundry room. I would like to add on to this line for the gas logs. After searching the web,I have found that I may be running too long on the 1/2" and it may not supply both the boiler and gas logs

Old 11-01-09, 01:29 PM
F
I had a company quote me a price to run a new 3/4" gas line from the meter to my fireplace . The total run would be about 75'. The price was $1,650. I already have a set of logs. I believe this is a lot to pay for running a gas line. I will have to get other quotes and compare.

Old 11-01-09, 03:38 PM
L
If you have a 90k BTU boiler and 75 feet of 1/2" gas pipe feeding it, you do not have enough gas to feed even that boiler. That run of pipe will only feed around 60k BTU. There may be a 3/4 or 1" line running from your meter and it steps down to 1/2" leading to your boiler.

BTW, gas pipe is pretty expensive to run, but that price is a little high depending upon the amount of turns and fittings involved.

Old 11-02-09, 09:02 PM
F
you are correct about the pipe. I followed the 3/4 '' pipe from the meter and for some reason someone reduced the pipe to 1/2" before going into the boiler. The boiler seems to be operating with this set up. The 1/2" pipe is only about 20' The additional length of pipe would only be about 30' to reach the fireplace. I understand that black pipe is not the easiest to install.

Old 11-02-09, 10:45 PM
L
I do not recommend that DIYers tackle gas plumbing, and here is a link to how to calculate things and you will see how involved and complicated it is.
Plumbing and gas piping

If you are in the Norfolk area, I have a plumber that is one of the best in the area. Send me a private message and I will give you his contact info.

Old 11-03-09, 09:02 AM
F
Yeah I was not planning on doing the job myself. Need special tools for black pipe which I do not own. I will send private message