Old wood cook stove

Old 10-26-09, 10:00 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Old wood cook stove

I need some help with an old wood cook stove. Question, do they come apart, easily? This one was moved to a basement for storage many years ago and last year the home owner replaced her old garage door to the basement with a wall and regular door. I didn't get to measure the door, but I assume 36", but the stove is bigger and very heavy. Here is a similar picture from a Museum. Maine Memory Network - Home Clarion stove, Bangor, ca. 1900
She wants to move this back upstairs and use it or sell it if that's not possible, I just don't want to break anything trying to help her. Is there a web site that shows a breakdown for old stoves like this? The mfg and model is the same as the picture and I find a lot similar to it, but not that one.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-09, 12:32 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Only thing I know for sure is that it WILL be heavy. Look it over closely as it would not be cast in one piece. It looks like two or three stacked sections. They may be bolted together or just rely on weight to hold them together.

Old 10-26-09, 12:58 PM
Thanks goldstar, I just don't want to look like an idiot, plus it is not next door so want to have the right tools. I'm always around so will watch for others to comment.

Bud

Old 10-27-09, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The way to take apart the stove is to take all the lids off the top. Number them and put them in a box. The best way to number them is with a piece of chalk.

The stove should be held together with stove bolts.

You take the slotted head stove bolts out of the stove and it should come apart into smaller sections.

Most times the stove will be sealed with a cement. You can still buy the cement in most hardware stores or even Lowes.

If there is brick inside of the stove, try not to take that part apart, because you might need to replace some of the bricks - because they might crack or fall apart - once you take the stove apart.

You can buy a special type of clay that is used to put them back together - if you have a problem.

The grate should come out separate - when you take the stove apart. Usually the stove comes apart into 3 or 4 smaller pieces that can be carried by one man and is not too hard to move.

We moved lot's of Moore Cook Stoves when I was a kid and they were 3 or 4 times as big as the stove you are working on.

Wood fired cook stove manufactured by Moore corp.

This model was very popular back in the day in the coal patch area of Pennsylvania.

Antique and Vintage Cook Stoves at Mill Creek Antiques

Old 10-27-09, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to a forum that can help you if you get stuck.

Wood burning cookstoves. - Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum

Old 10-27-09, 06:43 PM
Thanks CH, I think that is what I need. I contacted the Bangor Historical Society, but they have no room for it and wouldn't be able to pay her anything. But their lack of interest in a stove made in their town tells me they must be common or not real popular.

Since I know it should fit out her door, we can go ahead and have her get the sheetrock finished. Next spring I think would be a better time and it will give her a chance to clear everything with her kids. It should be checked to be sure all the pieces are there and exactly what condition it is in. All cleaned up with some pictures and she should get her best dollar.

Thanks again,
Bud