Gas fireplace dumb question?!

Old 10-31-09, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace dumb question?!

Every home I've ever owned has had a natural wood-burning fireplace until my most recent purchase. Unfortunately, I did not get the inspector to show me how to use the fireplace, so now I ask my question. Do I need to open the flue while the fireplace is lit? I would assume so due to the gases needing to escape, but as I said before, I've never owned one before. It appears to have some sort of sand-like material under the grate that I assume is covering the gas tube.

Curious and dumbfounded!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-09, 03:52 PM
You do need an open flue for a gas fireplace. Actually, in some places the damper must be removed. That may be true in your case but you need to be sure it is opened.

If you don't have one, get a CO detector as well.

Old 11-01-09, 06:56 AM
Most newer gas fireplace has no damper, just a flow plate the MUST stay in place. Look at your owner's manual if there was one left behind.

If none was left behind, you may be able to find it on line from that's brand of fireplace's web site. Otherwise, have a HVAC dealer come in and go over it and have them show you how to run it. While you have them there. maybe won't hurt to have them look at your heating and cooling system.

Old 11-01-09, 10:30 AM
From your description, what you have is a vented gas log which must have the damper open while burning. There may be a metal tag attached to the burner with make/model and other info. A picture is worth 1000 words.

If in doubt, call a gas fireplace professional. HVAC guys are very good when it comes to heating and AC, but when it comes to gas fireplaces a HVAC pro may know just enough about that fireplace to get someone hurt.