1st timer needs chimney help!!

Old 11-17-09, 05:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st timer needs chimney help!!

Greetings to all....

4th yr of homeownership, noob poster....

My issue is a chimney that needs to grow by about ten feet due to an addition....as it is now it stands about 25 feet....

It is 32" x53" .....4" block around the permiter surrounding two flues, one 18"x18" which goes to a fireplace, one 8.5" x12.5" which goes to a woodchuck furnace. The top tiles of both flues have a top to bottom crack. Interestingly, after I removed the old tired cap, there seems to be no blockwork b/t the tiles, only a loose pile of brick. Is that normal? I plan on digging them out as far as I can reach to see if there is block underneath.

My plan as of now was to pour a cap (maybe 4 or 5") on the existing top for a new flat surface. Then thought I would take the block around the perimiter (without tile) , and b/t the tiles up the ten feet, then insert a new insulated stainless liner the length of the chimney...

Is this a good plan? If so- should I anchor the new block to existing chimney with rebar through the slab at the corners?

Of course, this is only a plan, lots of room for new alternative suggestions, thanks for looking.
http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2...zxmxNDJIMgKg__
mike

Last edited by mazz1111; 11-17-09 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-17-09, 07:14 PM
M
also, any idea how to get the pic to be visible IN THE THREAD?

Old 11-17-09, 08:17 PM
Pictures would be helpfull bu I cant help you there I am new to this site. AS far as the chimney. You have two options. Rebuild with clay flue liner and brick all the way up. You should have a structural engineer look at it before you do that becouse of all the added wieght to the rest of the chimney and the footing as well. 2nd pour a 6" bond beam on top of what is there with rebar to tie it into the existing brick work so it will not shift and move on you. Before you pour it you will need a transition anchor plate. You can get this as well as pipe made to do just what you need from a company called SIMPSON DURA VENT. You will have to get the material from a dealer that they can tell you of in your area you will not be able to buy direct. This is also a pricey way as well. You will be looking at around 100.00 dollars per foot in hieght that you need. The top of the pipe will have to extend 2' above anything within 10' this is a national code not just state or city. Look up simpsons web site and you can see a list of parts with a little searching that you will need to extend your chimney. Goodluck

Old 11-18-09, 06:44 AM
M
Thanks Unkl,

A bond beam makes more sense than a slab....

Once I have a bond beam and new block around the perimiter, Do I need anything structural b/t two insulated stainless flue liners ?

thanks
mike

PICTURE:http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2...zxmxNDJIMgKg__

Last edited by mazz1111; 11-18-09 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-26-09, 07:17 AM
http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/l121_nov94.pdf Maybe these instructions will help. It is hard to explain how to do this in a short text. Mke sure you talk to you building department and get all the paper work from them to proceed ahead. Some cities have there own enterpratation on how this should be done. Some are stricter than others. But I have not run into one that wants anything that is not safe just some that are trying to be to safe and go way to far above and beyond what is required. So be carefull about what they want it could drive the cost of doing this up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: