Does flue liner need masonry around it?

Old 11-25-09, 06:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does flue liner need masonry around it?

I am rehabbing a home with a flexible metal flue liner installed before I owned it. There is no fireplace, it only vents the gas furnace and water heater from the basement. There is a hole in the brick in the basement where the flue meets the ductwork from the furnace, it looks like they just didn't bother to fill in around the new flue liner when they installed it. I made the hole larger so I could get a little more height for a new, taller water heater, so it's a pretty big hole around the liner now. Is this something I need to brick around before I sell, or is it pointless since the old flue is not used anymore.

Also, there is a low spot where the flue liner bends out of the chimney and up a bit and meets the ducts. I would think it needs a continuous pitch upwards to allow condensate to flow back and not settle. Is this something I should remedy and how? I tried to reach up and squeeze the flexible flue a bit to pull it up after knocking out some brick and flue, but it wouldn't really move. The whole liner did shift up and down (not sure how that happened) instead.

I'm pretty darn handy at about everything, but I've not done any chimney/duct stuff like this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-26-09, 06:45 AM
Iave heard of systems like what you have there on the east coast. If it is the correct liner material you don not have to put concrete around it but it would be advisable to eal of the area for drafts. You can get more info on this from Simpson Dura-vent they are the manufactures of one brand of liner there is several others. Good luck and hope this helps. You can download the installation instruction from that web site as well. If you cant find it call them they are very helpfull.

Old 02-27-10, 05:46 PM
M
sealing chimney

There is a high temperature patch material used by HVAC installers. This area should be closed just to keep critters out and vent pipes from moving. Additionally vent pipes should have a minimum rise of 1/4 inch per foot, have less than 360 degrees of bends and not be in contact with combustible materials. High efficiency furnaces with pvc exhaust pipes should not be directed into a chimney- Mark

Last edited by mkollath; 02-27-10 at 06:19 PM. Reason: removed link to website

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: