Wood stove hearth

Old 11-27-09, 03:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood stove hearth

Hello i'm redoing an existing hearth in my guest house to make it easier to shovel in the wood and because i think its too low. Would it be better to build the bulk of it out of cement block, then cover it with durock ( or similar material ) or to build it out of metal then cover it with durock . It has a thick cinder block chimney behind it and i find it retains alot of heat, so if i built a solid hearth it may stay warmer after the fire was out , but with an air space it would it not be better insulated against the heat ? Which is the best option or am i missing something else ? thanks in advance

Old 11-28-09, 05:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Will raising it bring it above the mouth of the fireplace? Will you be widening or lengthening it at the same time? Sometimes it pays to think about that as well. Maybe you could post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and post the URL on your reply post so we can see what you see.

Old 12-01-09, 06:34 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I 'll try to take a few picture tomorrow if i get home before its pitch dark but basically its a freeb standing wood stove up against a cinderblock chimmney thats already finished . The hearth (pad ) wasn't built to code and i'm going to expand it and raise it while im at it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: