Wood stove questions

Old 12-01-09, 10:18 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood stove questions

Out of necessity I am installing a woodstove and hearth in my mobile home. A pedestal type is reccomended to bolt onto the floor beams but my stove has legs that are not removable. Should I expect any problems and if so, what kind?

Old 12-02-09, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are asking.

Any wood burning appliance for a mobile home must be specifically approved for this purpose and to remain approved must be installed exactly according to the mfr's instructions.

Also, you need to have the installation inspected by your insurance company and noted on your policy for it to remain in effect.

Old 12-02-09, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
What kind of flue do you plan to use? How will it exit the MH?
Care and thought should always be used when designing a chimney or flue pipe - double so when it's in a MH.

Old 12-02-09, 11:31 AM
G
more info

umm,there is no insurance company...please don't lecture,this is a survival issue. I know it would be best if I had everything done by a pro but that is no where near my means. That said... I will be building a granite hearth and paying close attention to clearance. Stove will have a down draft. Chimney/flue of 8" will go straight thru ceiling/roof. There is no attic. There will be flashing at roof and a spark arrestor on the chimney stack.

Old 12-02-09, 11:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to insulate the stove pipe from any combustible materials in the ceiling. I'm not sure what would be the best way to do that. Are you using single wall or double wall pipe?

Many will put a wood stove in a MH and take out a window, replace it with metal with the flue going thru the middle of it.

Old 12-02-09, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
My suggestions were not a lecture.
Insurance aside, installing your stove according to the makers instructions is for you and your family's safety.
I owned a mobile home for ten years with wood heat and am more than aware of what trying to economize is all about.

Wood heat is very common here but unfortunately so are fires with some claiming lives.
Older mobile homes are a tinder box waiting for a mistake so your "survival" depends on doing things safely

There is some good installation information in a PDF here.

Old 12-03-09, 12:33 AM
G
wood stove question cont.

Sorry,I did not mean to infer that you were lecturing. I'm just sick and cold and am agonizing over a propane bill that is upwards of $300 for one month. As that is fully a third of my income, I'm a bit touchy I guess. My apologies.
The pdf was good info for install. I'm still trying to figure out how to bolt the wood stove's legs to floor beams. Its too bad I can't convert it to pedestal,it would be much easier.
Pipe is double wall. All the mobiles in this area have chimney straight thru the roof. I'm guessing to keep it above the snow and into the air flow.
Is there anything I can do to minimize the fire risk at the ceiling/pipe/roof intersect?

Old 12-03-09, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"I'm still trying to figure out how to bolt the wood stove's legs to floor beams"

I doubt that is a requirement, it's probably concerning MHs that are being transported. I wouldn't think it would be a concern with a set up MH. Cook stoves and water heaters come from the factory fastened to the floor but replacements seldom are.

I have a friend that used to live in a MH with a regular type wood stove with 4 legs. His pipe was double wall and went thru the exterior wall and then up. I think he had made a large enough hole to clear out the insulation and any other material [left the exterior aluminum] steel plate on the inside and 6" double wall pipe. It satisfied his insurance company but that was about 20 yrs ago.

Can you talk to some of your neighbors about how they installed their pipe thru the MH roof?

Old 12-03-09, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Where the chimney goes through the roof you need to use an insulated chimney system.
This allows you to keep the opening in the roof to a manageable size and to be safe.
If in your area the required clearance for a single wall stovepipe is 18 inches, you would need to have a 44 inch opening in your roof to use this kind of pipe if it were allowed.

Here is the installation instructions for one brand of insulated chimney.
Not sure if your roof is flat or pitched but the wall support installation may be easier in a mobile.
Here is some info on the flue pipe.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you talk about bolting down the stove.
I haven't had much to do with stove installs lately to know if codes have recently changed but have not heard of bolting them down.
Is this in the instructions for yours?
Is your mobile home blocked and semi-permanent?

Old 12-07-09, 05:38 PM
I have to agree with greg on all points. Except one point but that may have changed but probably got stricter. I have not done a wood stove in a M.H. since the mid 90s and you had to have outside combustion air fed to them from the floor usualy the pedestal becouse of the small living area so as not to use all the oxygen in the living area. Well two points. Second they did have to be bolted down in case of a earthquake so the stove would not tip over and cause a fire. as well as bounce across the floor and take the pipe with it. Every stove I did in a mobile was on a pedastel and used double wall pipe inside and class A chimney from the cieling to the spark arrestor. If the stove is equiped to use 6'' pipe be sure to use 6'' all the way out your stove will be much more efficient and burn cleaner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: