How do I block off chimney?

Old 12-03-09, 10:52 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I block off chimney?

I have a natural gas fireplace that I shut off because I never use it and don't like the idea that the pilot light is always lit. However, because it's a natural gas fireplace, there is no damper in the chimney and it's always open. What's the best way to plug it?

I am thinking fiberglass insulation, but let me know if there's a better way...don't want the insulation to get sucked up and stuck in the chimney.

Old 12-07-09, 04:26 PM
Try a search for thermal vent damper. Majestic products use to have them but I have not purchased one for years. You can try calling them Them they are now owned by Monnesan hearth. The damper I am talking about is a heat activated it remains in the closed position till it warms up and slowly opens to let out gas fumes and carbon monoxide. Then when the gas is turned off and the unit cools it slowly closes. It was simple to install on units like yours just hold it up and put in two screws through the upper chassis. They may have stopped making them though if they had a issue with some of them not working properly. Good luck

Old 12-08-09, 08:42 PM
L
Originally Posted by unklbuk
Try a search for thermal vent damper. Majestic products use to have them but I have not purchased one for years. You can try calling them Them they are now owned by Monnesan hearth. The damper I am talking about is a heat activated it remains in the closed position till it warms up and slowly opens to let out gas fumes and carbon monoxide. Then when the gas is turned off and the unit cools it slowly closes. It was simple to install on units like yours just hold it up and put in two screws through the upper chassis. They may have stopped making them though if they had a issue with some of them not working properly. Good luck
Yeah, that sounds pretty dangerous to use on a gas fireplace. The issue would be if the gas stayed without a flame. The damper would remain closed and the gas would enter the house. That damper probably violates some building code.

Old 12-09-09, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
If you worried about the pilot just turn off the gas. There should be a valve underneath or elsewhere to close it off.

Old 12-09-09, 06:32 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
FYI, some jurisdictions (Massachusetts, for example) prohibit the installation of any type of damper on a vented gas log appliance. My suggestion is that if you intend to deliberately obstruct the exhaust path, that you also cap of the gas supply and then attach a note explaining why - more than once at home inspections I've discovered blocked off flues that that everyone had forgotten about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: