Gas Fireplace Creates Soot

Old 12-05-09, 01:07 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Fireplace Creates Soot

I have a gas fireplace that is vented, but has a sealed box (similar to the one below). The logs never looked right in this fireplace, and when my wife wanted to clean the windows, she asked me to reposition the logs to look more realistic. They were held in place by long screws which I had to remove in order to reposition the logs. Once back together, when I turned the fireplace on the windows fogged up with soot. I took off the windows and a few of the logs now have soot on them. What did I do wrong? Nothing new was put in the fireplace. A few of the logs just got repositioned.

Old 12-05-09, 11:33 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
What you have is a direct vent gas fireplace. The logs were screwed in place for a reason.....the reason is to prevent sooting. You need to place the logs exactly where they were placed from the factory or call a professional to do it. Altering a gas fireplace in ANY way can be dangerous !!!

The logs were placed in position for a reason, it is not just a suggested placement.

Old 12-07-09, 03:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Log doc is 100 percent right the most common problem with all gas fireplaces and logs is people want to move them around. When the installers of these units and gas log sets put them together they position everything for a reason. The flame pattern on gas units is designed so the flame goes through the logs not under and around wich is usualy what couses them to soot up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: