Gas Fireplace Flame Goes Out

Old 12-24-09, 12:50 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Fireplace Flame Goes Out

I have a 10 year old Osborn propane fireplace in a condominium. The fireplace is direct vented. Occasionally, the flame will go out after 30-45 seconds. When I first light the unit, the flame is strong and steady. After 30-45 seconds, the flame starts dancing wildly and eventually goes out. The pilot also goes out at the same time. It almost looks like the unit is being starved of propane. I can relight the pilot and then the main burner but the same thing happens again.

The problem is intermittant. Some days the fireplace works fine, the flame never blows out. The next day I run into the problem described above.

Any ideas ?

Old 12-25-09, 07:20 AM
L
If your flames become thin and blue and look like ghosts dancing in your firebox just before it goes out, you have a venting problem that allows exhaust gasses to contaminate the fresh air used for combustion, which starves the fire for oxygen. This is a difficult fix, even for a professional. Time to call a pro and ask them if they can solve flame lift-off issues. If they scratch their heads and stutter, call someone else. Look on NFI Certified for a professional in your area.

Old 12-25-09, 07:07 PM
I agree with the recirculation. May want to check the wind direction when the problems occur.

Old 12-31-09, 09:26 AM
Try a simple check by looking outside wear the vent is to see if someone placed anything against it or near it and is blocking the vent cap. Also some peope have plants that grow and block ventilation of the cap and dont realize the hazard with placeing plants near the cap becouse they dont like the look of it and want to hide it. If all of this seems to appear OK. you may have a pipe that came apart in the wall. You may need a expert to fix that. Good Luck

Old 12-31-09, 09:37 AM
Just a note on NFI its a good place to start but dont rely on it. If you read there bio you will see they dont Say the person will be competant only they passed a simple test. Find someone with years of experiance in the field not book smart. Tell them you will only pay to fix the problem not to experiment on how to fix it. If they wont do that they probably dont know how to fix it.. Just my input from 26 years serviceing fireplaces of all types and brands. Unfortunately there is no legally recognized licenseing for fireplaces only.

Old 12-31-09, 01:35 PM
L
I agree with you unklbuk, just because someone has a certification it doesn't mean they can fix your problem. Also, if they do not have a piece of paper it doesn't mean they can't fix your fireplace either.

Just my .02, if someone passes the NFI certification test, they are pretty knowledgeable in the field. The NFI exam isn't just a simple test.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: