stove flashing on roof

Old 12-28-09, 05:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stove flashing on roof

about installing the on the roof collar and sheet metal for DuraTech 6 inch pipe...8" outer diameter.
I have metal roofing. Long strips 16Ft at least going up and down. No small pieces.
I am wondering how you get the flat flashing under the roofing above the pipe but over the roofing below the pipe. With shingles its easy enough.. but cant quite see
how to do it with my set up..
Know what I mean???? any pics appreciated....
or other info..

Old 12-28-09, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You can purchase a matching piece of metal roofing, cut it so it will fit under the highest flashing to half way around your collar. Then transfer your collar OD profile to the metal and cut it out. Then lay the metal over the existing roofing and over your collar flashing, and under the upper most flashing, screwing it down with matching screws. This will give water a full flow from top to half way around the collar, which is what you want.
There may be manufactured flashings that will work, so hang in there, as others will chime in and give much better advice, I'm sure.

Old 12-28-09, 09:30 PM
H
I agree with the above poster's advice. I'm on a lot of metal roofs and that method seems to be the most common method. You want the "behind" metal piece to run all the way back up to the nearest ridge cap, step flashing etc, so no joints are exposed to water. One metal layer on another will barley be noticable and will work well. If the distance is further than 20feet(your roof piece size mentioned) than you wold just have to overlap another piece on that one until you reahed the ridge cap, etc. A wise roofing contractor once told me, "just remember which way water flows and you'll be ok".

Old 12-28-09, 09:33 PM
H
Sorry, you mentioned 16' roof pieces, not 20'. My mistake. Same advice though.

Old 12-29-09, 09:34 AM
D
so basically 2 small half cut outs on top of the existing roofing.
No sliding under the existing roofing. yes??
And a good bead of silicone.
The harder part of this install will be cutting out a 3x3 piece of the OSB
and replacing it with cement board. I want 3 times code at least so I dont worry. And I am framing the collar box with metal,not wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: