100# LP tank problem and ventfree gas log

Old 01-10-10, 04:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100# LP tank problem and ventfree gas log

My gas logs turned off all the sudden. I thought I was at the end of a tank. Go outside and the dual regulator says that tank is still good (little button top is still green). I have the LP off on the other tank so no contribution to pressure from that tank. I restart logs, comes back on for about 5 mins. shuts off again. Everything shuts off, pilot and main burn. restart, go outside and listen.

I hear a gurgling noise coming from the tank. Usually its just a hiss. Frost line on the tank indicates about 8inches of something left in the tank. Could that somthing be water or??? I turn off this "bad" tank, turn on the other tank (fresh new one) and everything is fine now.
Something is up with that tank.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 08:46 AM
M
100# LP problem

Not being an expert on LP gas or LP fireplaces I have worked with gas heaters and tanks that are used on constr. sites during the cold months. My thoughts are from what your saying is that your out of gas in that tank. The regulator indicates gas , however the frost line indicates very little ( not water ). There is obviously enough gas to start it but not enough pressure to keep it going . You have to take it in to refill it anyway so if your unsure get the valve on top of the tank checked . I really think your just out of gas , however there could be someone out there reading this that's more knowledgeable on the topic than I

Old 01-11-10, 03:37 PM
L
Vent free gas fireplaces state in the manual that they should be serviced at least once a year by a trained professional. There are safety sensors that need cleaning and adjusting. When they need adjusting and cleaning, the fireplace thinks it is not functioning properly and shuts off.

How old are the gas logs and have they been serviced?

Old 01-11-10, 10:34 PM
S
Logs are 2 years old. no service since install.

It has been working fine on the new tank.

Perhaps it was just out of gas but the part that I find wierd is the gurgling sound coming from that tank when there is a draw from it. that I have never heard before.
as anybody would notice, its usually just a hiss.

Old 01-13-10, 09:40 PM
S
it warmed up to about 35 today.
I went out and disconnected the problematic tank and gave it a good shake.
Theres about a gallon left it in. So its not out of gas.
gas log is a 25-36KBtu.
it was doing this on low so I dont think its a lack of pressure issue at 15 F.