Kerosene indoor heaters. No kidding.

Old 02-02-10, 12:57 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kerosene indoor heaters. No kidding.

We've had some unusually cold weather lately -- overnight temperatures in the low 20's for a week at a time and ice covered tree branches falling on electrical power lines. It occurred to me that if the power went off for a long time, we'd be in an almost life-threatening situation.

Bright idea! I'll run right out and buy a kerosene (indoor) heater. Yay for me!

El wrongo! No such thing is to be found, except online, and not very many. I thought they would be available in abundance at all the hardware stores, including Lowe's and Home Depot.

Why aren't kerosene space heaters wildly popular? From my recent research on line, they appear to be very economical; kerosene is readily available; they are safe if used properly; kerosene is not volatile like gasoline; portable and simple to operate and maintain. Of course they do emit some smelly but harmless fumes, but who really cares when it's 20 degrees in your home. And they're only for temporary use.

They sound great to me. I don't know why there's not one in every household.

Thoughts, advice, comments, suggestions would be welcome because I'm thinking about ordering one.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by notsohandy; 02-02-10 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Change title
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-10, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well...I think you just hit the end of the season... They normally come in about Sep..and they ship them back/clearance them out by mid-Jan. Wait til next season and buy one.

Btw..you have a few misconceptions. Kero is quite flammable (of course not like gas), the fumes will kill you as quick as anything. Most heaters, unless working perfectly, will also leave a film on surfaces if used more than a very short time. They are also a burn/fire hazard and the fuel can be quite expensive unless you have a local supply.

Old 02-02-10, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Vic. Knock over fire hazard, although they have shut off safety features. HD started putting their outdoor furniture out in early December. So winter stuff is mostly gone. I noted today, oddly, their "bargain" area where the kerosene and heaters was, is MT. It would be like pulling my Cummins in the garage and running the engine. No carbon monoxide, but the smell is stifling.

Old 02-02-10, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
I agree, those heaters are a hazard.

Both for fire and your health.
The safety operates on the principle of oxygen depletion in your house but does not specifically monitor against carbon monoxide which can kill you.
When they are working as they are suppose to they will still be venting the products of combustion into your home
Along with a small amount of fumes they give off a fair amount of moisture which if operated for any length of time can contribute to moisture damage and mold.

Old 02-02-10, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 271 Votes on 240 Posts
A kero heater should be ok for temporary heat but it's not something you want to light, forget about and lay down to sleep. The wick can get temperamental after the heater has been used some. It might burn clean for awhile and then when your back is turned it will start smoking

IMO it's always smart to have an alternative heat source. Even a gas furnace needs electricity to run. I have a wood stove, I've got a neighbor with a ventless gas wall heater. Gas logs are also nice but I assume if you had a fireplace you wouldn't have started this thread

I'd bet if you can wait til spring, you could get a barely used one fairly cheap.