LP fireplace soot

Old 02-04-10, 08:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LP fireplace soot

Is it normal to get a small amount of soot from a vented LP fireplace?

I have a Lennox MPD series.

I have to clean the glass every 6-8 weeks or so, and the lower part of the firebox walls get a slight build up as well.

Outside vent is clear.

I have checked the orifice, and it's the correct one for LP, and it has no obstructions either.

The air shutter is open all the way, and closing it makes the flames more yellow.

The logs are placed according to the manufacturer's instructions...although there is some flame touching the lower log. And it cant be moved because it sits on pins on the grate.

There is no soot up high on the top of the firebox though. The glass does not get black...just kind of hazy.

I've never had a lp gas fireplace before, and I'm wondering if a small amount of soot is normal? Should the firebox look like it did when new, or should it look a bit like a real firebox?

Old 02-22-10, 07:19 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soot

it is normal to get minimal amounts of soot.i was getting way too much soot on the glass but found out in tne manual how to adjust the air to get a much leaner mixture and this completely cured the problem but this was on a heatilator lp fireplace

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: