Want to remove fireplace insert

Old 02-19-10, 09:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to remove fireplace insert

I purchased my first house and it came with a fireplace that has a wood burning insert. I would like to remove the insert.

The house was built in the late 1940's. In the fireplace is a wood burning insert manufactured by Heating Energy systems, Inc out of Clackamas OR. On the front is says TrailBlazer Solid Fuel Stoves. I believe the year of manufacture is 1980

On the label it says "Combustible floor must be protected by10mm (3/8 in.) thick asbestos or equivalent..."

The asbestos part has me worried. I've look around the insert and I have found what looks like fiberglass. There also appears to be gaps in the the fiberglass like stuff used to fill the gap between the fireplace and the insert.

Could the fiberglass looking insulation actually be asbestos?

And how hard is it going to be to remove the insert.

-JJ

Old 02-20-10, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First, why do you want to remove the insert? Asbestos won't present a problem until it is disturbed, so if it is solidly under the insert, it is doing its job.
How about posting a couple of pictures of your situation http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html and let us see what you see. We can give better advice that way.

Old 02-20-10, 05:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
Asbestos is only hazardous in powder form [where you can inhale it] Since an insert is more efficient than a fireplace, I'd consider leaving it in place.

My first home was a 1952 trailer which I remodeled. I installed a gas cook top and was leery of the close proximity of combustibles so I bought a small sheet of asbestos to line the area with. Not to mention all the school house ceilings that I sprayed with asbestos texture....... what we didn't know back then

Old 02-21-10, 12:06 PM
J
Thank you for the welcome. Glad I found this place. After living in apartments for the last 43 years, I plan to be here a lot.

I agree that the insert is a great way to heat my house, but I want a fireplace. I want to be able to sit down and read a book in front of an open fire. And the insert is ugly. The previous owner went to all this trouble to put in a beautiful fireplace and then stuck this black ugly monstrosity in the middle of it.

Silly reasons at best... what can I say.

I'll post some pictures later. Thank you.

-JJ

Last edited by jjthomas; 02-21-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Same silly reasons I like a stove.....more heat in the room, less heat up the chimney. Now, if you are looking for aesthetics, go for the open fireplace. Most of your heat will go up, not out.

Old 02-22-10, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
Get plenty of volunteers to help, it will be HEA-VY. FWIW in our previous residence in NC the fireplace had an insert when we bought the house (c.1986) which we had removed; two years later we put a new one in. Really liked the $100 electric bills when friends were running $300+.

Old 02-28-10, 05:00 PM
J
I was able to take the pictures and I downloaded them from my camera, using HP PhotoSmart. When I tried to save it, I was asked if I wanted to buy the picture. And the PhotoSmart is crashing.... I purchased some photo software, I need to find the disk so I can install it.

I saw another post about putting in a glass door... I'll check into that as well.

Photos will be coming as soon as I find my other software.

-JJ

Old 07-11-10, 08:01 PM
J
I'm back on task to removing my fireplace insert. I did get some close looks and it appears that the insert is surrounded by a fiberglass fill of some kind. I've also noticed gaps around the fill.

There are other images at:
Fireplace

Thank you.

-JJ

Last edited by jjthomas; 07-11-10 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Cannot get the image to showup
Old 08-12-10, 11:24 PM
B
How goes the removal? We have a very old insert that prolly isn't up to code. It doesn't even have windows. It's too big for the room so we are thnking of upgrading it.

How did yours come out?

Old 08-13-10, 08:06 AM
J
It hasn't. I am still trying to figure out if they installed the insert with asbestos or something else. It looks like the surrounded the insert with fiberglass. But I want to make sure before I start taking the insert out.

I am also reconsidering due to the fact that we are in for a cold winter. I may just leave it in for this year and remove it next year.

-JJ

Old 02-06-11, 04:35 PM
B
same here. If I remove it myself, I will try to get some pics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: