insulation around fireplace?

Old 03-09-10, 08:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
insulation around fireplace?

I am in the process of re-insulating around the fireplace and noticed that the insulation is right up against the front top of the “firebox” or insert, where the box meets the brick? It looks to be a double walled box and we are going to be putting in a new insert inside of all that before it gets used again because the side walls are warped and the back brick is cracked. Is the insulation being against the top of the box where it meets the wall ok or should I have it a certain distance away? When I pulled it all down, it was against the “box” so I just put new insulation right back how it was. Unfortunatley, I have already re-insulated it and tyvek taped it all in place and didn’t think about this until after I had re-done it. I just want to make sure it would be ok before I re-drywall it, so if I have to do it again, I can….

Thanks and sorry for the long write-up,

Scott

Old 03-09-10, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Scott, rest easy. Since you are adding another air layer by putting in another insert, you will be fine. I am guessing you installed fiberglass insulation, which will tolerate the heat pretty good.

Old 03-10-10, 06:30 AM
D
Scott, it's a little hard to follow what you mean, but the key is to simply follow your clearance information for the insert. You should have numbers for all sides of the insert.

And when they mean clearance - it is to any combustible surface such as: drywall paper, paper insulation backing, wood framing, etc.

If you cannot achieve the proper clearance it is acceptable to cover the surface with a noncombustible material such as metal or concrete backer board.

It is always a good idea to check with your local codes office just to be sure you are in compliance.

Old 03-10-10, 08:09 AM
S
Thanks to both of you.... I will check with the code department, and unfortunately, the "insert" that is in there now doesn't have any markings on it to see, since it was made in 1973.

I did pull the paper backing away from it so that there isn't any paper near it...

Old 03-10-10, 08:12 AM
D
Originally Posted by spetrola View Post
Thanks to both of you.... I will check with the code department, and unfortunately, the "insert" that is in there now doesn't have any markings on it to see, since it was made in 1973.

I did pull the paper backing away from it so that there isn't any paper near it...
Clearance information is not always on the unit, but if the manufacturer is still in business they maybe able to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: