"Too old" fire wood?

Old 12-06-00, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
I've had a fireplace for only two years and have only built two "atmosphere" fires. I want to make better use of it and would also like to clear out some of the down timber on my land. Is there a problem with using wood that has likely been on the ground for several years?

Old 12-06-00, 05:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Some wood will deterioate after several years, cut into some if its solid your should have no problem. depends mostly on species most oak lasts the longest.look for trees that the bark has fallen off. best bet.

Old 12-06-00, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I agree with mason. As long as the wood is solid, and not damp or rotted "punky", it doesn't matter how old it is. (And as mason said, bark off is better).
I would just use hardwoods, however. Pine, even old seemingly dried-out pine, creates a lot of extra chimney creosote (which is what causes chimney fires) from the pitch in it.
The drier the wood, the faster it will burn, of course.
I burn a lot of old hardwood in my two fireplaces, and after I've built up a good bed of coals, I like to mix in a piece of green wood once in a while to slow down the hauling.
If you burn many fires, you should have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually. Or check it out yourself with a flashlight. If you can see even 1/8" to a 1/4" of creosote buildup in the flue, that can be a fire hazard.
Enjoy your fireplace!
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: