Fresh air in, and 2 flues?

Old 12-06-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for the responses to my previous question. Now, I have some a bit more technical. My wife wants a wood stove in the currently unfinished basement just below the upstairs fireplace. Main question: can I combine the two sources into one flue or need to run separate? Since the chimney is just wood frame I have easy enough access to it.

When I did use the fireplace, I had to open the window to provide enough air flow. Kinda defeats the purpose. I expect the problem to be worse with a new stove. What methods are there to provide fresh air? Any opinions of effectiveness? Thanks.

Old 12-07-00, 12:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yukon,
The answer to your first question is that each firebox (fireplace or stove)MUST have a separate flue. Do NOT use the same flue.
There are triple-wall "zero clearance" chimney flues now that can be safely installed directly against framing that you may be able to install inside your wood frame chimney beside the other, or through a wall or roof.
As for the negative air pressure and having to open a window for the fireplace to draw properly, with the more or less "air tight" homes these days, that is not an uncommon problem. Most just crack a window, as you're having to do.
The best solution is to install outside air pipes that vent directly into the fireplace/wood stove for combustion air. That is usually done when they are first built, however, and can be expensive to install after the fact.
You can weld a couple to the sides of the woodstove, so that you can close the doors for more energy efficiency.
Consult with the wood stove manufacturer about all of the above.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: