4-year-old used cast-iron heat stove: bad purchase decision?

Old 09-20-10, 07:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4-year-old used cast-iron heat stove: bad purchase decision?

Hi, I'm looking for any advice from experienced owners of cast-iron heat (propane) stoves. We have one upstairs as our primary heat source in our small house, and now have bought one for the downstairs (art studio and den).

We bought it used in excellent condition last week -- it is an Empire Classic model CIDV-30-20. It's not installed yet. Over the weekend we discovered online (in a hard-to-find spot on the Empire website) that the model was discontinued by Empire in 2008! An Empire parts person emailed me that "most" parts are still available.

Now we're afraid this was a bad purchase. Or, since the stove was discontinued so recently, wouldn't important parts be available for some time to come? We are nervous that if, say, something goes wrong with the stove two years from now, we might not be able to replace a part.

Anyone with experience with this sort of thing or an opinion on whether we should try to return this nice stove to the seller, I'd love to hear from you! Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Dustie

Last edited by dustie; 09-20-10 at 07:55 AM. Reason: To add "propane" to description.
Old 09-20-10, 10:46 AM
D
If you bought this from a dealer I would say take it up with them for starters, especially if they did not mention this was a discontinued model. If you bought it from a private seller you could try getting them to take it back, but in that case I would say it was a Buyer Beware situation.

If in the end you are stuck with the stove I say go ahead and install it. It is very expensive to develop entirely new product lines therefore manufacturers use many common parts across their model lines they will continue to make for many years to come.

Old 09-21-10, 08:03 PM
D
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
If you bought this from a dealer I would say take it up with them for starters, especially if they did not mention this was a discontinued model. If you bought it from a private seller you could try getting them to take it back, but in that case I would say it was a Buyer Beware situation.

If in the end you are stuck with the stove I say go ahead and install it. It is very expensive to develop entirely new product lines therefore manufacturers use many common parts across their model lines they will continue to make for many years to come.
thanks so much for your reply! we bought it from a private seller, and have decided the "buyer beware" slogan should apply in this case.

i finally heard back today from a couple of empire managers, and they only started cutting back on producing this classic model in 2008 (and it was in order to change the aesthetics, there was nothing wrong with how it functioned). the parts guy says all parts will be available for many years, except the burner itself is no longer produced, but the burner, he says, is very reliable and longlasting. since the stove is only 4 years old and had little use during that time, we've decided to go ahead and install it and hope/assume it'll give us several years of good heat. i do appreciate your saying that you'd go ahead and install it too -- your saying that did actually figure into my husband's and my discussions! -- so, thanks again.

dustie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: