add blower to fireplace not made for one?

Old 09-26-10, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
add blower to fireplace not made for one?

Hello,

I have a marco fireplace insert model #792771M and I am covering the area it's mounted in with stone. Before I enclose it, I want to install a blower. It is a double fireplace insert inside a framed up enclosure between the living room and den. I want to cut a hole in the metal outside of the fireplace and install a blower like this Englander 250 CFM Large Room Air Convection Blower for Pellet Stoves - PU-4C447 at The Home Depot to the hole and let it blow around the firebox and out the vents at the top. It would be inside the framed up enclosure, so I would drill holes through the wall down low at the grout lines between stones to let air into the enclosed blower. Does this sound feasible and safe? I know this is a "customization" and there are always unknowns involved. I have more than sufficient skill and sense to do this properly and safely, but I want to run this by someone who is more familiar with this kind of thing to make sure there is nothing wrong with the idea before I commit. There is also a 140 cfm motor just like this one that I can use if the cfm is any issue. Also, what kind of thermostat would you recommend?

Old 09-26-10, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the place but it sounds good to me. Just be sure you can get to the blower because I have seen many of them fail from the heat and then you would be sunk if you couldn't get to it.

For a thermostat you could use a switch/sensor that closes on temp rise similar to this: Switch, Fan Control - Fan and Limit Controls - HVACR Controls - HVACR : Grainger Industrial Supply Just put it so it is in contact of the hot firebox.

Here is a little something I put together last winter so I know where your coming from: Nickel & Dime Ranch: February 2010

Old 09-27-10, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
Wow, looks like that thing would really heat up the place with even a tiny fire in it. I love the heat exchangers on it...great idea and well executed! I can see something like that being a winner on the market.

I plan to put a trapdoor in the floor so that I can access the fan area from underneath the home. It would mean pulling down insulation, etc... but it's the only way I can think of having access without having to demo. The firebox is firebrick panels inside a steel box, then an airspace all around it of about 3 inches, then the outer steel housing. I plan to mount the fan flange to the outer housing blowing into the airspace, which would force warm air out the vents at the top of the insert into the room. As it is now, the vents are there just to allow natural air movement to carry the heat out. I checked around and apparently this model wasn't built with provisions for a blower, so I'm having to make do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: