A DIY Sweeping question or 2

Old 10-26-10, 07:07 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A DIY Sweeping question or 2

I have a newer 2 story -- built in 2003.
We moved into it in 2008, had the chimney swept/inspected last year in 2009, and started buring wood a couple weeks ago.

Our sweep/inspector told us to have it inspected/cleaned every 2 years. However, I would rather DIY sweep it a couple times a year between inspections because, well, the thought of a chimney fire frightens me.

I have seen steel brushes and flexible rods at Lowes. I have an 8" flue, which I'm assuming is metal/steel. Would a steel brush work in a metal/steel flue?

Also, I have a hinged damper above the firebox. When I open the damper, it's hinged in the middle of the flue opening. I really don't want to go on top of my roof to sweep, and was hoping to sweep from the firebox up to the cap. Is it impossible to remove the damper? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

TIA.

Old 10-26-10, 12:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't think it would be feasible to run the brush from the bottom up.

Do you have a masonry chimney or is it a flue pipe in side of a wood framed chimney? A masonry chimney would have a clay flue liner unless a stainless steel liner has been installed over a cracked or suspect flue. I've never dealt with cleaning metal stove pipe but would assume you would use the same type of brush. You'd want a round brush for stove pipe.

Old 10-26-10, 12:36 PM
R
It is a flue pipe inside of a wood framed chimney. I believe it's possible to clean from the bottom up, if I can just get past the darned middle-hinged damper. I believe I've found the appropriate 8" diameter poly brush and the 4 foot long fiberglass connector rods (have not purchased yet).

Old 10-26-10, 12:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I'm not an experienced chimney sweep [have only cleaned my house and shop flues] but all the suet and debris that the brush knocks loose is very messy and I couldn't imagine being underneath it when being cleaned. Both of my chimneys have stoves connected, no fireplace. With a fireplace you'd want to seal off the opening to keep the mess contained.

Old 10-26-10, 01:28 PM
R
I figured as much. I would probably just keep my shop vac handy to catch the mess, as well as covering my firebox opening. I would think, that even with a tarp in place, that I can get a bendable fiberglass rod up the flue...again, if I can just get past the damper.

Old 10-27-10, 04:28 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 71 Posts
Can you get on the roof at all? I too am afraid of the mess-you will stir up dry, fine dust. Here's an idea that I've never tried. If you can get on the roof, that is. Tie a rope to the chimney brush, usually has a ring on one end. Lower the rope down the chimney, leaving the brush positioned at the top of the flue, but in the flue. Go to the fireplace, pull the brush down to the damper. Screw the rods into the brush and work it up and down. When finished, go up on the roof and unscrew from the rod. The one big catch (flaw?) to this idea is if you don't have enough room to turn the brush around when it is above the damper in order to get the threaded end on the bottom for rod insertion.

Old 10-27-10, 06:56 PM
D
I had my chimney cleaned last year by a professional. They did it from the bottom. I have a square clay lined chimney. I believe they had their shop vac in the fireplace running while they worked.

Old 11-02-10, 09:22 AM
R
Yeah. I think I'm going to go this route. I've looked at my butterfly hinged damper. I'll have enough gap to get the brush through on the back side of the hinge and run it up and down, adding 4foot poles as I go up. I have a shopvac that I'll run in the firebox and lots of tarps to catch anything that may get past it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: