chimney pipe through brick wall

Old 10-27-10, 11:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
chimney pipe through brick wall

I live in a old loft building that at one point had a wood stove. There is an existing raised concrete pad. Above it is a single walled ~10 in. pipe sticking through the brick wall. I would like to reinstall a stove here. I have already gotten a stove and read about stove versus chimney pipe and I think I have all of the details taken care of but one.

The existing 10 in. pipe is a problem for several reasons:

1.) its only single walled
2.) its starting to rust and is in poor condition
3.) I want to have a 6 in. setup

The 10 in. pipe is mortared in to place and isn't going anywhere. So how can I install my 6 in. chimney pipe through it? Can I just mortar a 6 in. pipe inside the 10 in.? Is there a better way to do this?

thanks,
jason

Old 10-28-10, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jason!

Do you have a masonry chimney or is it all stove pipe?

Normally you have a masonry thimble where the flue goes thru the wall. A metal pipe shouldn't be mortared in place. There might be stove pipe fittings to reduce the 10" to the more common 6" or 8" pipe but you don't want to use a rusty pipe.

Could you supply a pic or two so we know just what you have?
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 10-29-10, 06:01 AM
D
You may be able to insert the 6" pipe and use a boot or wall thimble to keep it centered. Since 10" isn't common you may have to customize something. On the chimney end a chimney cap should once again keep the 6" pipe centered.

Old 10-29-10, 07:28 AM
G
What dac said

Also most 6" Chimney pipe is around 8" OD so it should slide through the 10" no problem (just check before buying) and a wall thimble is the way to go to keep the 6" chimney pipe centered in the 10" hole. Just leave the old pipe in place and be glad you don't have to be the one to cut through masonry.

Old 10-29-10, 10:31 AM
D
Another way of looking at this is to treat that 10" pipe like a masonry chimney that needs relining. Most wood stove installers do it on a daily basis with flex pipe kits even you can buy. The toughest part of the job is capping the chimney and the stove end.

Old 11-08-10, 06:14 PM
T
Thanks for the suggestions

I'm ordering a wall thimble now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: